Monday, May 12, 2008

Kungradulashuns!


Today i went to Seton Hall University's Commencement ceremony for the graduating class of 2008 at the Izod Center in New Jersey. It was bizarre watching all of these kids I spent a year of my life with sit there in their caps and gowns, knowing that if things had gone only slightly different in my life, I'd be sitting there with them too (hopefully.) That would not have been a bad thing at all, either. The dean who I met with once I was offered a touring job with the Jonas Brothers was in attendance also. I thought back to that meeting and how he encouraged me to pursue the opportunity. I'm glad he did. I was pretty confused as to what i should do. I had already logged a year at SHU and really loved it. He gave me reassurance that I was making the right decision and gave me the confidence I needed to withdraw from college and buy a new bass guitar rig with the tuition money instead. I'm very grateful for my job, but I certainly don't think i'm "better" than anyone graduating today. In fact I found myself quite jealous of their degrees. I was simply blessed to be offered a different route to my career. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get to do what you love.
That said, I hope everyone today is one step closer to accomplishing this goal. Not gonna lie, seeing these kids for the first time in 3 years had me a little nostalgic for my freshman year. I'm proud of them. hazard zet forward. Go Pirates!

Interesting to note before i sign off here: (pictured above) on four separate occasions today a blue balloon made its way into the seated graduates' area and was tossed around DURING the speeches. These are people getting their Masters and Doctorates degrees i'm talking about. Only proving that, not matter how old or smart you are, one thing always remains true...balloons are FUN.

-Greg Garbowsky
formerly the class of '08

ps - happy birthday sista

No comments:

Post a Comment